What is Biotech?
Biotech, or biological technology describes any technology harnessing the power of natural processes and biology such as cellular and biomolecular processes to create products and services with the potential to create groundbreaking impact on people’s lives and the planet, such as breakthrough treatment of rare and previously incurable diseases, increasing survival odds for life-threatening conditions and improving manufacturing processes to create less toxic waste byproducts.
How Big is it?
The global biotech industry has a market size of roughly USD 1372 billion in 2022, according to Grand View Research, and is expected to grow rapidly over the next few years. The COVID-19 pandemic has driven up the industry’s demand, with renewed interest and support in advancing vaccination production and advancements in drug manufacturing, which is a continuing trend as the world tries to better equip itself for future outbreaks and other large scale medical concerns.
How can Biztech enable biotechs?
Biztech Lawyers have been working with both emerging and well-established biotech and life science companies and research institutions, assisting them to weave through the complexities of regulation and empowering their growth.
Biotech start-ups face numerous legal challenges and complexities through their journey to scaling up. This requires expert guidance to effectively navigate. As a biotech company, it is important to form the right entity required for your purposes when you first start up, and the proper documentation allocating shareholder rights and directorship, such as ESOP agreements, employment agreements, shareholder agreements and more.
Another vital aspect is ensuring that intellectual property rights and patents over groundbreaking discoveries and processes are secure. Biotech companies have their lifeblood in the ideas and conceptions formulating the basis of their products, and it is important that protection remains continuous. Biztech Lawyers can assist you in identifying any existing gaps, issues and potential strategies for intellectual property and patent protection as well as the commercialisation aspects through drafting and reviewing trade secret and confidentiality agreements, patent and copyright applications and other commercial agreements.
Biztech’s biotech expertise
Biztech Lawyers has advised some of the hottest players in the biotech industry and has enabled start-ups from ground up. We provide quality legal solutions to biotech businesses, adapted to the changing regulatory landscape. We tailor our services to our client’s particular needs. We help biotechs structure products and services, as well as compliance procedures. This enables biotechs to effectively navigate the regulatory maze and capitalize off strategic partnerships with potential investors and other backers and interested parties.
Our global team is ready to enable any biotech business, with its sights on domestic and international markets. Our biotech clients range from service providers in gene therapy development to biopharmaceutical manufacturing, and we aim to support our clients at every stage of their development with a wide range of services below:
- Company setup and corporate structuring
- Regulatory setup, compliance and governance;
- Intellectual Property, including trademarks, copyright, IP licenses and assignments;
- Due diligence reviews
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Joint venture, partnership, merchant and vendor Agreements;
- Capital raisings, VC and crowdfunding;
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Data Privacy and Info-Sec; and
- Responding to State and federal government investigations and enforcement actions.
Featured BioTech Clients
- A Group of 8 Australia University – commercialisation of IP and clinical trials
- A leading Biomedical research institute — venture deals and other IP commercialisation
- A leading biopharmaceutical manufacturer – general operational legal advice
- A specialty generics pharmaceutical company – commercial legal and M&A advisory
- Commercialisation accelerator – establishment and joint-venture advisory services
Book a Free
Legal Strategy Session
Check out our blog